Huawei P20 Pro is a premium smartphone that offers high-end features and performance. However, some users may want to unlock the bootloader on their device to gain more control over it. In this article, we will guide you through the process of unlocking the bootloader on Huawei P20 Pro in 2023.
What is Bootloader?
A bootloader is a program that loads the operating system (OS) of a device. It is responsible for initializing the hardware components and loading the OS kernel. By default, the bootloader on Huawei P20 Pro is locked to prevent unauthorized modifications to the device.
Why Unlock Bootloader on Huawei P20 Pro?
Unlocking the bootloader on Huawei P20 Pro allows you to install custom ROMs, kernels, and mods. It also enables you to root your device, which gives you full access to the system files and settings. However, unlocking the bootloader voids the warranty of the device, and it also increases the risk of bricking the device if not done properly.
Before you proceed with the bootloader unlocking process, make sure you have the following:
- A computer running Windows, Linux or Mac OS.
- A USB cable to connect your Huawei P20 Pro to the computer.
- A Huawei ID to register for the bootloader unlock code.
- A backup of all your important data on the device.
- A charged battery on the Huawei P20 Pro.
Steps to Unlock the Bootloader on Huawei P20 Pro
Follow the below steps to unlock the bootloader on your Huawei P20 Pro:
Step 1: Register for Bootloader Unlock Code
To unlock the bootloader, you need to first register for the bootloader unlock code from Huawei. Follow the below steps to register:
- Go to the Huawei bootloader unlock website.
- Sign in using your Huawei ID or create a new one if you don’t have it.
- Accept the terms and conditions and fill in the required information.
- Submit your application and wait for the bootloader unlock code to be sent to your email.
Step 2: Enable Developer Options and USB Debugging
To enable developer options and USB debugging, follow the below steps:
- Go to Settings > About Phone.
- Tap on Build Number seven times to enable developer options.
- Go back to Settings and tap on Developer Options.
- Enable USB Debugging.
Step 3: Download and Install ADB and Fastboot
To download and install ADB and Fastboot, follow the below steps:
- Download the ADB and Fastboot zip file from the internet.
- Extract the zip file to a folder on your computer.
- Open the folder and press Shift + Right-click and select Open command window here.
- Connect your Huawei P20 Pro to the computer using a USB cable.
- Type the following command in the command prompt window: adb devices
- Press Enter and you should see your device listed.
Step 4: Boot Huawei P20 Pro into Fastboot Mode
To boot Huawei P20 Pro into fastboot mode, follow the below steps:
- Power off your Huawei P20 Pro.
- Press and hold the Volume Down button and connect your device to the computer using a USB cable.
- Your Huawei P20 Pro should now be in fastboot mode.
Step 5: Unlock the Bootloader on Huawei P20 Pro
To unlock the bootloader on Huawei P20 Pro, follow the below steps:
- Type the following command in the command prompt window: fastboot oem unlock [unlock code]
- Replace [unlock code] with the bootloader unlock code sent to your email.
- Press Enter and wait for the process to complete.
- Once the process is complete, your Huawei P20 Pro will reboot.
Unlocking the bootloader on Huawei P20 Pro is a complex process that requires technical knowledge and experience. It is important to follow the steps carefully and ensure that you have all the prerequisites before proceeding. By unlocking the bootloader, you gain more control over your device, but it also voids the warranty and increases the risk of bricking the device.